I'm done with the Southern Baptists. I renounce my membership within their congregation. I had two Baptist minister grandfathers who also outspokenly renounced the SBC, and today I join them in my repudiation.
I know quite a few of my friends growing up, grew up under the Southern Baptist doctrine, and I do not repudiate them. The Southern Baptist convention has stepped outside the lines of love and acceptance defined within the New Testament.
I am a Unitarian Universalist, and believe in the 7 principles outlined therein. The SBC, in today's action, violated numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6.
1. The inherent worth and dignity of every person.
2. Justice, equity, and compassion in human relations.
3. Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations.
4. A free and responsible search for truth and meaning.
5. The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large.
6. The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all.
7. Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
I never was comfortable with their doctrine, but as a teenager, I had no choice as it was the only Baptist church in town.
Today, they have shown their wilful ignorance, and sought to deny me my identity.